When you think of yellow squash, there aren’t too many recipes that come to mind. Since this fall-favorite squash comes in your Produce Box this week (10/26-10/30), it seems fair we give you some ideas for dishes to make with it. The crowd favorite seems to be baked or sautéed yellow squash covered with Parmesan. If you’re a die-hard fan of a different type of cheese or seasoning, I challenge you to try it on this dish!
- 4 Yellow Squash
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Wash your squash (as should be common practice with all your produce).
- Dice it vertically so you get little rounds, not long strips.
- Place your pan on the stove (on low).
- Warm olive oil in it (or the oil of your choice).
- Placing the rounds in the pan.
- Cover and wait for the underside of the squash to brown slightly.
- Once the underside if slightly browned, flip them over.
- Add whatever cheese or seasoning you want to the top of the squash (the already-browned side).
- Recover the pan.
- Let the new underside brown as well.
- Every 5 or so minutes, you can put your fork in the squash rounds to see if it goes in easily or if there’s resistance. The squash will be done when it slides in easily.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
Do you have a way you prefer to eat your yellow squash? Seeing as the people here are St. Louis Produce Box are ALWAYS surrounded by produce, we’d love to know more ways to prepare and enjoy it!