Cactus Pear, Prickly Pear, Cactus Fruit (they are all the same thing!)… you’ve heard about it but maybe have never tried it? You’ve tried it but those seeds ruined the delicious taste? We’ve hear you and we have the solution.
Cactus pears are around 40 calories each, rich in antioxidants, high in fiber, and loaded with Magnesium. They are a great healthy snack choice and once the seeds are removed, can make a delicious drink. Below is a drink recipe suited for any occasion, breakfast to happy hour.
Cactus Pear Juice Agua de Tuna
- 3 Cactus Red Pears
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ Cup Orange Juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp. Agave Syrup, or other sweetener
- Slice both ends of the cactus pear off. Make one long vertical slice down the body of the cactus pear. Peel back the skin. The skin should come right off, and you should be left with just the cactus pear.
- Place peeled pears in blender with 1 cup of water. Blend at the lowest speed for 1 minute.
- Strain and discard the seeds and pulp.
- Place cactus pear juice back in the blender, with orange juice, and agave syrup. Blend until smooth.
- Serve over ice.